Over 100 years ago, this region was ruled by Mutasa, chief of the Manyika and was named Mutare or sometimes “Nyautare” meaning “a piece of stone.” The name probably came about as a result discovery of gold in the Penhalonga valley through which the Mutare River flows.
The foundation stone of the Civic Center was laid on the 22nd of May 1959 by the then Governor Vice Admiral Sir Reveille William Powler and was officially opened on the 7th of June 1960 by the then Prime Minister Sir Edgar Whitehead. The idea of the Civic Centre was first talked about in 1949 and four years later the idea was put on the planning boards. Today the building consists of a three storey section with the Council suite, Committee rooms and Mayor’s Parlour. The Council Chamber was built to accommodate thirty Councillors. The Civic Centre is built on a beautiful land which was once a dairy farm.